Cammell Laird Shipyard has been an integral part of the Wirral Community and will be celebrating its Double Centenary in 2024.
The Shipyard was founded in 1824 by William Laird as the Birkenhead Iron Works.
Hi Son John Laird joined in 1828 and the company began building ships.
In 1903 the Sheffield Steel firm of Charles Cammell merged with Laird Bros to form Cammell Laird.
1977 saw the Nationalisation of the Shipyard, before being privatised in 1986.
Receivership followed before being acquired, shut down and sold onto its current owners Northwestern Shiprepairers and Shipbuilders.
Peel Holdings via a subsidiary are a current major shareholder.
In World War 2 the Birkenhead Shipyard produced close to 200 ships for the War Effort including HMS ARK ROYAL and HMS PRINCE OF WALES.
The Double Centenary will likely be celebrated by the Shipyard launching its 1400th Vessel.
Please forward references, stories and pictures for inclusion.